Neil Island, Andaman

Sunday 24 October 2010

Grindelwald

Berlin - Grindelwald - Lucerne - Basel

A Harry Potter fan would expect something magical from a town that holds the name of Grindelwald. Hence when I was asked by a fellow passenger why I am going there I simply shrugged. I had to go.

Town Centre @ Grindelwald

Interlaken took me to Grindelwald. The train route leads to the highest peak in Europe - Jungfrau. However the to-and-fro ticket to Jungfraujoch is too expensive at CHF 135 (INR 6000). A diversion on the same route will take you to Murren which is considered as a place of ethereal beauty during Swiss summers.



When I reached Grindelwald, the hilly town was covered with fog and small snow flakes were accompanying the rain drops. The youth hostel had closed for the season as were most of the other hostels. November onwards this area is close for about two months before opening up in the end of December for ski-lovers.

Way to Grindelwald Railway Station

The surrounding sky high hills were mesmerizing - the most interesting part of the panorama were two peaks adjacent to each other overlooking the marketplace where I was standing. The Grindelwald village itself looked like coming directly from one of the JK Rowling's novels where wizards live.


There was a tourist information desk with an amusement centre near the station. Here for the first time in my life I saw a full length ice hockey field. Taking a walk around for a couple of hours I decided that I was there at the wrong time of year .


I took the train back to Interlaken at around 2 PM. From there I planned to go to Lucerne. The couple of hours were enough to leave a lasting impression about Grindelwald - definitely magical.

3 comments:

  1. @ the Title of the Blog

    when there is so much fun @ page 1, why one shall take the pain of reading the complete book? : Pankaj Chaudhary

    ReplyDelete
  2. ha ha ha .. good to know that you are enjoy page 1 so much .. will join you some day .. delhi me hi hai naa ..

    ReplyDelete
  3. The place looks magical enough.....Thanks for the pictures......

    ReplyDelete